Commercial Pilot Licence
Commercial Aeroplane Pilot Licence - CPL (A)
A commercial licence (CPL-A) allows you to fly an aeroplane for financial reward (i.e. to work as an aeroplane pilot).
A minimum of 150 hours flight training is required before you take a flight test (under an integrated course), as well as passes in the 7 CPL theory exams.
Upcoming course dates can be found here.
Integrated CPL (A) - 150 hours minimum
- 9 months (approx) full time
- Students must undertake all theory & flight training at Townsville Flight Training*
- Also offered as the AVI50219 Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot Licence) through Tafe Queensland - more information here.
* students may be eligible to transfer from another integrated course to complete their training with us. Please get in touch to discuss your options.
Non-Integrated CPL (A) - 200 hours minimum
- Can be completed full time or part time, with onsite theory or self-study
- Students who have already completed more than 50 hours non-integrated flight training (PPL or CPL), or hold their CPL (H) may consider this option. Only available directly through Townsville Flight Training. Not offered under the AVI50219 Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot Licence) through Tafe Queensland.
You will need to obtain the following in order to gain your licence. Information on these, and how to complete your applications is available with our course information package.
- Aviation Reference Number (ARN)
- Class 1 Medical Certificate
- Aviation Security ID Card (ASIC)
More information & links to help with your applications can be found here, or get in touch to discuss.
You will be glad to know that no previous flying experience is needed before you start to learn to fly an aeroplane.
A sense of adventure and being prepared to put in a little effort is all you require. Previous flying experience, in some cases, will allow for a reduction in the amount of flying hours you will need to complete toward your aeroplane pilots licence.
That said, if you would like to experience flying before you commit to a course, you may be interested in a Trial Introductory Flight
Commercial theory consists of seven exams. You must achieve a pass in all 7 exams to gain your Commercial Licence (a pass is 70% in all subjects except Flight Rules and Air Law which requires 80%). The 7 subjects are:
- Human Factors
- Aircraft General Knowledge
- Operations, Performance and Planning
- Flight Rules & Air Law
There are two main options for you when it comes to the theory aspect of your licence:
- Full time classroom theory. Our CPL theory is run as a 12 week intensive course, taking you through all 7 subjects and exams. This option gives you a focused, classroom environment and the support & experience of our instructors to help you get the most out of your studies. Classes run Mon-Fri 7:30am - approx 2:30pm.
- If you are self-motivated, and pick things up easily, you may be able to self-study the theory components of your course. We can provide you with the materials & books you will need to go this route. Please contact us at [email protected]ht.com.au to find out more.
There are a variety of employment options available to a commercial aeroplane pilot;
- General Charter (Aerial Work, Photography, Tours, Mail runs etc.)
- Coastwatch/Border Surveillance
- Corporate Charter
- Emergency Medical Services
- Fire fighting
Approximate cost = $65,000 to $80,000 with minimum flight hours. Get in touch for a full Schedule of Fees.
If you would like more information about our courses, and information on how to enrol, please fill out our enquiry form and we will get in touch with more information about the course. Alternatively, please give the office a call on 07 4772 4998 to discuss any of your training questions!