Private Pilot Licence
Enjoy the thrill and freedom of flying an aeroplane while learning the ropes in a supportive environment. Our experienced instructors are here to teach you the skillset you need to fly confidently and safely in any situation or airspace.
A PPL (A) allows you to fly your friends and family around in an aeroplane anywhere in Australia.
- Minimum 40 hours flight training
- 1 theory exam covering 7 subjects
- PPL flight test
- Train full time or part time
- Be at least 17 years old at time of flight test
Flight training costs start at $16,200 with minimum hours flown in a C172 aeroplane
*most students will require more than the minimum hours - contact us for details
Private Licence Theory Options
To obtain a private aeroplane licence, you must pass a 3 1/2 hour theory exam. This exam contains questions from the following subjects:
- Human Factors
- Aircraft General Knowledge
- Operations Performance and Planning
- Air Law
There are two main options for you when it comes to the theory aspect of your licence
- Learn in a classroom atmosphere. Free from distractions, our intensive theory course allows students to focus on their studies, covering all 7 subjects in a 3 week block. With the support and expertise of our instructors, this course will see you prepared as possible to tackle the theory exam
- If you are lucky enough to be the kind of person who is self-motivated, then self-study may suit you. We can organise study materials for you to tackle around work and other commitments. Students can also book in for one-on-one tutoring as required.
You will need to obtain the following in order to gain your licence, as required by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA). Information on these, and how to complete your applications is available with our course information package.
- Aviation Reference Number (ARN)
- Class 2 Aviation Medical Certificate
- Aviation Security ID Card (ASIC)
Alternatively, please give the office a call on 07 4772 4997 to discuss any of your training questions!
Townsville Flight Training also offers courses for Recreational and Commercial Licences. Find out more here: